This week is an exciting time at AMF: it’s the beginning of Whiz Kids! Here are five things you may not know about our Whiz Kids tutoring program.
- City Gospel Mission began Whiz Kids to provide at-risk students tutoring and mentoring around the city. 2017 marks the 8th year Anthony Munoz Foundation has been a site host at Robert Paideia Academy in Price Hill!
2. Each year 20 Kindergarten through 5th Grade students have the opportunity to be matched with a tutor from AMF. These pairs meet every Wednesday after school for one hour of tutoring. They practice reading skills while building a relationship with their tutor.
3. At the end of each session, Whiz Kids get to participate in a group activity. This can be an art project like creating shamrocks for St. Patrick’s Day or even playing a fun game like “Over the Mountain” where students and tutors get to know each other better.
4. In the last 3 years, 13 students have completed and aged-out of the Whiz Kids curriculum! They have moved on to the Whiz Kids extension program—City Gospel Mission’s Unplugged where they focus more on everyday enrichment, academics, and life-skills. These students also have the opportunity to learn more about spirituality. Fun fact: these students come from 7 different families!
5. Want to be a tutor? You must be at least 16 years old! Most of our volunteer tutors do not have previous tutoring experience but training is provided by The Foundation and City Gospel Mission before Whiz Kids begins. There is still time for you to register to be a tutor for the 2017-2018 school year! Click here to learn more about registering to be a Whiz Kid tutor!